What is the purpose of chiropractic?
The purpose of chiropractic is to provide a first health care contact for wellness and the optimization of health.
How is chiropractic defined?
Chiropractic is a health care discipline which emphasizes the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery.
What is the focus of chiropractic?
The practice of chiropractic focuses on the relationship between structure (primarily the spine) and function (as coordinated by the nervous system) and how that relationship affects the preservation and restoration of health. In addition, Doctors of Chiropractic recognize the value and responsibility of working in cooperation with other health care practitioners when in the best interest of the patient.
What is a subluxation?
A subluxation is a complex of functional and/or structural and/or pathological articular (joint) changes that compromise neural (nerve) integrity and may influence organ system function and general health. A subluxation is evaluated, diagnosed, and managed through the use of chiropractic procedures based on the best available rational and empirical evidence.
What education is required to be a doctor of chiropractic?
- A four-year doctorate degree program is required, with classroom and laboratory work in basic sciences, diagnosis, treatment procedures, and a clinical internship.
- The educational requirements and national board exams for medical doctors and chiropractors in basic and clinical sciences are very similar.
- Postgraduate continuing education is required annually to maintain a chiropractic license.
What is the focus of chiropractic care?
- Chiropractors promote preventive care by providing advice on diet, exercise and lifestyle. Preventive care results in cost savings as health is maintained, disease avoided, and costly procedures forgone.
- Chiropractic was founded in 1895 and since that time has been the choice for millions of patients with a variety of health concerns who want safe and effective treatment without drugs or surgery.
- Doctors of chiropractic are required to refer patients to the appropriate health care provider if a condition is detected that is not subject to appropriate management by chiropractic methods or techniques.
What conditions do chiropractors treat?
Doctors of chiropractic are educated, trained and licensed by the state of California to treat all conditions, diseases, or injuries in a manner consistent with chiropractic methods and techniques.
Do chiropractors prescribe drugs or perform surgery?
No. Doctors of chiropractic provide treatment without drugs or surgery:
- Prevention is stressed by chiropractors, who may include wellness protocols such as diet, exercise and a healthy lifestyle in their patient care.
- Chiropractic is a natural approach that can include nutrition, vitamin, mineral and other supplementation, and the use of herbs.
- A typical chiropractic visit includes chiropractic adjustments to the spine and/or the extremities.
- Physiotherapy and other soft tissue techniques may also be utilized.
- Exercise and rehabilitation may be prescribed to enhance the body’s function and prevent further injury.
Herring Chiropractic– Your Trusted San Diego Chiropractor for over 25 Years!